To assess progress toward learning outcomes of the 8 different levels in school, a wide array of summative assessments is used. Below are different assessments used by the school.
1. Classroom attendance
The two hours and fifteen students spend every week in the classroom is meticulously planned to incorporate learning and student participation to meet the expectation of a specific level. Even though the syllabus extends beyond classroom instruction, importance of student teacher interaction is of utmost priority in student assessments.
2. Weekly Homework
To extend learning opportunities beyond classroom instruction time, a dedicated HW system is in place that correlates with the lesson plan taught that specific week at school. The completed HW is then submitted for assessment the following week and one of the classroom teachers follows up one on one with every student / parent. This provides a quick weekly assessment on student learning, understanding and also a yearly statistic on the overall content knowledge for a specific student.
3. Assessments at the end of each trimester
The three assessments per year are spread around the 24 weeks to periodically track progress, alignment to learning expectation of each level. Each assessment is segregated into Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing skills. Assessments were based on IPA (Integrated Performance Assessment) process.
|First Trimester||Second Trimester||Third Trimester|
|Lessons – 01-08|| |
Lessons – 09-16
|Lessons – 17-24|
4. IPA (Integrated Performance Assessment) format READING, LISTENING, SPEAKING and WRITING assessments based on ACTFL standards. For all the higher levels IPA based assessment is adopted from 2018-19 academic year onwards.
IPA assessments were not absolute percentage based and student proficiency is determined by the following parameters
- Does not meet expectations
- Meets expectations (minimal)
- Meets expectations (strong)
- Exceeds expectations
5. Tamilnadu Virtual Academy
- MNTS Tamil School is an authorized examination conductor for Tamilnadu Virtual Academy. This academy has been conducting online classes and certifying students at various levels. Broadly they conduct three Certificate level exams (Beginners, Intermediate, and Advanced), Diploma and Degree courses in Tamil. Besides the MNTS Tamil School students, people from all over the state can participate in these exams at MNTS Tamil School.
- For more details about Tamilnadu Virtual Academy please connect to http://www.tamilvu.org/